Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Downpour of Rain, A Reminder of Glory

Tis the rainy season in beautiful Cambodia. Rain is pouring down at the moment, like it did last night at the same time, the night before, and the night before that. I love every minute of it. The trees swaying in the wind--the sound of water on tin roofs--water flooding our yard--rain blowing through my bedroom window and soaking my room--everything. I love it. I love the thunder that makes the ground shake, the lightning that makes the sky bright as day, everything. And then sometimes, if it's still light outside, you can see a rainbow--a constant reminder that God keeps his promises, something that I often forget. God made the rainbow, the rain itself, the wind, the thunder, and the lightning, and it all serves to glorify him. That's what the rain reminds me about: God's glory. I have a slightly awkward habit of breaking into worship songs at the top of my lungs when it rains. It's awkward because I frequently forget just how loud I am singing (the rain drowns out a lot of noise) and I get people staring at me funnily. But that's what the rain makes me want to do--worship God. I love the rain, singing in the rain (or rather in a nice dry room while it rains), and more specifically, worshipping God when it rains.

If there was no rainy season, life in Cambodia would be quite different. The river would never overflow, the rice-fields would never flood, and the Cambodian way of life would be drastically different. By something as simple as rain, God has enabled the Cambodian people (and probably every other people group, when you think about it) to develop the culture and way of living that they have today.

God has used something as simple as rain to show His glory in Cambodia and in the rest of the world.

Something as simple as rain.

4 comments:

Isaac, the masterofweirdness said...

gotten love the rain... best thing in the world.

I'll never understand why the brits don't like the rain... its so fun, looking outside at a constant, steady, downpour of rain...

Plus, its really nice when we get a good moonsoon breeze...

Manwathiel said...

Ah, monsoon breezes... We get those lovely things here, although it's usually not quite a large monsoon breeze by the time it reaches us. Hmm... I've found that Brits who have lived outside of Great Britain for a long time like the rain, but ones who actually live [or recently lived] in England don't like it, probably because it rains so much there.

Unknown said...

OH my GOSH - *I* always break into loud worship songs when it rains!!! More so than every other hour of the day, I mean. Cos you know how much I regularly burst into song...

I love rain. But you already knew that.

P.S. I love Relient K.

Manwathiel said...

MORE than every other hour of the day?! That's, like, possible?