Saturday, February 2, 2008

Guillermo Del Toro?????

Ok. So it's official. Or something like that (it might just be some rumor that I'm taking way too seriously). Guillermo Del Toro is directing The Hobbit and its sequel. Hm. Panic can now break out. Why should panic break out? Because I know NOTHING about Del Toro!!!!! Eep... People say he's great. But how would I know? *deep breath* Ok...he should be good. Oh no. It's going to be awful.

Alright, look at it this way, no matter how good Del Toro is, I will be unhappy. Why? Because I love The Hobbit. When LoTR came out I was in the middle of reading the books. As I read the books I saw pictures of the characters in the movies (although I didn't see the movies themselves until much later), so I kind of took it for granted that they looked that way. But I have read The Hobbit many times and have very opinionated ideas of what the characters and locations are supposed to look like... And what the plot should be like. If they alter even a single piece of plot sequence I'll--I'll--umm....something. Something drastic. Like. Like...umm...dunno. I'll figure that out later. But as I was saying, if they mess up the plot in order to make it "better" (like they did with LoTR) I'll get mad. Most fans will.

And then we have the casting...Ian Holm must play Bilbo. Ian McKellen must play Gandalf. Orlando Bloom must show up *somewhere* in Mirkwood as Legolas. After all, he is the prince. He doesn't need a huge part (small would be better *cough*), but he needs to be there. John Rhys-Davies would make a wonderful Gloin...but somehow I don't think that actor wants to return. As for Thranduil. They have to get him right. If they don't... *decides to leave threats unspoken* As for the many other characters, they must get them right. The goblins must look like the goblins in LoTR, Andy Serkis has to return for Gollum (pretty please!!!), and the Dwarves must look like Dwarves. Hugo Weaving must play Elrond, the Elves of Mirkwood must be like Elves of Mirkwood--they're Wood-elves, not High-elves! They must be fun, cheerful, they have to sing and laugh and be graceful... But if they end up all solemn... *shiver* As a rule, the Elves of Mirkwood should have dark hair with only a few Elves (such as Thranduil and Legolas) with light hair. Mirkwood must be dark and scary, worse than Fangorn if possible. Beorn must be tall, broad, and bearlike. The ponies must look like ponies. The Shire must look like the Shire. Rivendell must look like Rivendell. The Hall of the Elvenking must be a beautiful twisting and winding cavern--but brightly lit up and decorated with silver, gold, gems, and candle-light, but still with a certain roughness to it. Oh yes, and the Wood-elves must wear headdresses of leaves (both real and cast in silver). Oh yes, we come to a very important character: Smaug. Smaug must be perfect. Of course, the special effects will be good, there's no doubt about that, but whoever does his voice must do it well. It needs to be deep and gravelly, but smooth enough to sound somewhat...snakelike. And Smaug needs to be big. Really big.

Yep, places and people must be done correctly. *sigh* Maybe I should send New Line another letter.... Heh. Like that would help.

Oh well, I'm off. And yes, I know, I didn't talk about the sequel. I'll rant about that later. I wonder when they're going to start casting The Hobbit...hmm... *wanders off mumbling about Smaug*

1 comment:

Jennie Joy said...

Yeah! Send New Line a letter! DO IT! :)