Thursday, February 21, 2008

En Uphen

*glances back at previous essay-sized post* *shakes head slowly*

Rir! Qha phen? Renan eph tar. Tar qha?

You might need a translation. Unless, of course, you have a built in universal translater, which you don't.

An exact translation would be: Hello! You speak? Manwathiel I called. Call you?

Of course, if you don't speak the language you might need to have the exact meaning of the translation told to you...Here tis: Hello! Do you speak the language? My name is Manwathiel. What is your name?

Ok, by now you're probably wondering what on planet Earth (if indeed, I am on planet Earth) I'm talking about... Well, I'm talking about conlangs! Conlang is short for constructed language, which is a language that was constructed. Elvish is a conlang, as is Klingon, and many other languages. Actually, there are many conlangs, quite a few of which are spoken by many people.

So by now you've probably figured out that the words in this post that don't seem to be real words at all are a conlang. Well, yes, they are. More than that, they're my conlang! I love my conlang. This particular language, constructed by me, is called "En Uphen" which, roughly translated, means "The Language". Nice and simple. It's a very simple language. I actually started working on it last summer, but then I stopped for a while. But I started flipping through my notebooks yesterday and I stumbled upon it. So yesterday I moved it all over to a new notebook, fixed up a bit of the little details, and now I'm working on expanding the vocabulary of this language. So far En Uphen only consists of about twenty-four words, but I'm rapidly coming up with more. The alphabet is composed of twenty-five letters, although I haven't actually come up with the real alphabet yet, just its English counterpart.

Well, to sum up the point of this post, if indeed there is a point, conlangs are very fun to make, and I am having a whole lot of fun, even if I'm not a language person. With that said...

Narir, elana-n!
~Renan

No comments: