Friday, January 25, 2008

Aren't I just so kind to my characters?

Aren't I just so kind to my characters? At the moment almost all of the characters in my biggest story are about to die (their ship is bout to burst into a bunch of splinters). And what do I do? I decide to take a break from writing that story and post on my blog instead, leaving my poor characters in bodily peril for who knows how long. Of course, I know that they will survive, but they don't know that. All they know is that I've left decide to take breaks from my stories at the most tense parts. Take Tara, for example, she was about to go on a mission she couldn't possibly complete and what do I do? I take a break. And I'm afraid that this break has lasted for several months. Poor Tara. Then we have my main story--the one that's currently left hanging--I have left it so many times just when everyone (or someone) is about to die, is going through emotional trauma, or is about to find out some deep dark secret about someone else. And I leave them. Just like that. Of course, I go back to the story eventually and get them out of whatever mess I left them in. What would they do without me? But still, my poor characters get left at the most awkward moments. My poor prophets in He Who Cometh Forth have been left in absolute chaos for several months, at least. I really should go and get them out of that chaos, but I've been working on other stories. Silvanen and A New Earth were left in such a mess that I'm honestly not sure how to get those poor planets out of it.
But back to my main story that I just left. Why do I always do this? I rarely stop when everything is happy (which it is quite often, surprisingly). Instead I choose to leave when so and so is threatening to throw someone else overboard. Or when everyone is about to drown. Or when they are surrounded by giant snakes. No, I don't leave when they are spending a happy month in the Myst, I leave when they are all in jail. Just imagine if you were left for days, weeks, or even months with your ship about to sink. I don't think you would appreciate it. I wouldn't. My characters don't.
I can just envision my characters suddenly hopping out of the pages of their story. What horrible things would they do to me?
"You left me hanging for three days not knowing whether or not they would grant my wish!" Alvina would declare.
"So you are the one who threw Amaryllis into chaos and left it like that for years!" Kazan would tell me.
"I am finally about to have my dream come true and you decide that before that happens you have to leave me about to die!"
"You brought these strangers into my land, how dare you!"
"You would not allow me to complete my tale--what gives you the right to do this??"
Yes, this is what only some of my characters would say...
I don't even want to think about how angry Ariadnë would get.
So yes, I leave my poor, pitiful characters in terrible situations for days on end. My poor characters...

No comments: