Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cosmetics and Fish

Hello one and all, what is my tale (or tales) that I have to tell you today? Well, I have two stories for you. One is about cosmetics and one is about fish. Let us begin at the beginning, shall we?

I take you back, my dear reader, to yesterday afternoon. It was a dark and stormy afternoon and--ok, so it was neither dark, nor stormy, but as I was saying... It was a day like no other when three friends made a discovery that would change the world--alright, maybe I have to admit that this discovery probably won't change the world, but it was interesting nonetheless. Now, where was I? Ah yes, the discovery. Or shall I say discoveries? Katherine (aka, me), Kristine, and Hannah were in the kitchen experimenting with the world of cosmetics. We began with perfume. Who knew that vodka was an essential ingredient in homemade perfume? Well, it is. We learned that several days ago while researching homemade perfume. Well, as we were making perfume we also discovered that ground up mint makes a nice addition to perfume, and that I am allergic to essential oils. Alas, I learned that the hard way. I looked like I had a nice sunburn for the rest of the day. We also created a new type of lipgloss. Interesting enough, the lipgloss leaves the outside of your lip purple, and the inside bright pink. Hmm... You don't even want to know what we put into it. We also discovered that oatmeal, liquid-bath, and brown sugar makes a lovely--if disgusting-looking--body scrub. Another interesting experiment was the designer lipgloss... Each of us made our own personalized lipgloss. Mine was chocolate-flavored and colored--and I discovered that it can also be used for eyeshadow. Hannah's took a few tries, but ended up a beautiful pinky-red lipgloss. Kristine's, however, was the most interesting. It started out green. Yes, green. A pale pea-green. And it smelled bad. Very bad. We found a very adequate description of it--but I don't think you would want to know about it. So after laughing hysterically for about half an hour she threw it away and started over. This lipgloss ended up a nice pale pink and smelled a whole lot better. After the lipglosses we attempted to make eyeshadow (that was interesting) and then we made bodyscrubs out of oatmeal, brown sugar, and liquid-bath. The bodyscrubs were wonderful, although they looked a little strange. Alright, they looked very strange. But they were still nice.
At any rate, making our own cosmetics was an interesting experience--not to mention humorous. And we ended up with some nice perfume (although I'm afraid that I can't wear it without getting a rash), rather strange lipgloss, really nice lipgloss, some interesting eyeshadow, and some nice bodyscrub. And now I know how to make my own cosmetics.
Now, onto the fish. We got thirteen new members of the family today. Dad got 10 guppy-like fish, Kristine got a--well, I'm not sure what it is, but it's a fish. And Caleb and I each got fighting fish. Dad stuck his tiny, multi-colored fish out in the big fishbowl, alongside his other guppies and goldfish. He decided to name then Bukma-moi, Bukma-bi, Bukma-bie, Bukma-bien--and so on. A translation would be: Friend-one, Friend-two, Friend-three, Friend-four--I'm sure you get the point. Kristine's fish is black with silvery spots. She named it Metallica and has it in a little fish bowl that she plans to put in her room. Caleb's fighting fish is blue, red, green, and purple. It has a long flowy tail. Caleb decided to name his fish Frederick. Why Frederick? After Frederick the Great! Proof that Caleb was paying attention to my history readers. My fighting fish is a beautiful red color and has a really long stringy tail. His scales have a slight green tint in places, as well. What did I name my fish? Smaug! You should know where I got that from... And if you don't...please, please, read The Hobbit and find out.
Well, we all love our beautiful new fish. I've stuck some pics in this post, but I'm afraid that you can't really see the fish--I didn't want to use the flash and they kept moving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh i remember when me and josh got fighting fish and he convinced me to stick them in a jar of water together and let them "play". my fish was left floating belly-up with his/her long swishy tail floating in the water.... sobsob!!! i was so little too!!! like ten or something :(