Friday, May 9, 2008

Ducks, Gators, Politics, and Calico Capers--it's Florida!

So I am in Florida with my grandparents! I am having a complete blast.
First of all, there's my grandparent's house...They have a birdfeeder outside. With birds (duh
moment there). There are reeeaaalllyyy big cranes with really big beaks! And there are ducks. Lots of ducks. With bright orange beaks =). I love those ducks. Then, of course, there's the politics side of my grandparents... The whole house is like plastered in politics. There's a big sign on their outdoor fridge that says "STOP Senator Hillary Clinton!" which I love, and Dad's been walking around wearing a "McCain '08" pin. I love it!
Second, there's the shopping... So
far, in my trip to the US, I have gotten body butter, Skillet: Comatose, three pairs of earrings, an awesome pair of shoes, an extremely comfortable pair of blue jeans, a skirt and shirt to wear to the wedding, and a book, Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn. I is happy.
We've also been doing all sorts of awesome things (other than shopping). Yesterday we went to Homosassa Springs, which is a wildlife park. We took a little boat ride, and then walked around the park. Twas fun! We saw humongous alligators, a hippo, lots of
beautiful birds, wildcats, manatees (Barbara Manatee!), and much more. It really was amazing. I got loads of great pics.
We've also just been hanging around the house a lot, taking walks, I've been driving the golf cart a bit (you can legally drive a golf cart when you're 14), etc.
Note to self: NEVER walk one mile on asphalt barefoot. Never. Never again. You will wind up with a giant over-one-inch-long blister on your foot and will have to hobble around on your tip-toes for the rest of the week. Never do it.
Oh yes, then, last night, Kristine, GG, and I went to a little show called Calico Capers. It was kind of a...erm... *thinks of how to describe* Small-town country folk-type-thing. (Abby, I can imagine the accent, and in this case...you might be right). It was quite fun, lots of dancing and singing, there was an amazing violinist with a purple violin, and there were two guys who must have been professional singers at one point in their life, they were *so* good. It was a little odd, in places, because every single actor/dancer was a senior citizen.... But a lot of them were obviously retired professionals, and were quite good. There were four amazing ballet dancers, too. At the end we all stood up and sang "God Bless the USA" a song that I really do love... And goodness knows, the US needs all the blessing it can get.
At the end of the show some guy looked at Kristine and I and said, "Aren't you two a little young to be senior citizens?"
Considering that we were the only people in the room that were not senior citizens, I instantly came back with a wonderful comeback: "Why thank you! We've aged quite nicely, haven't we?"
Ok, so I didn't come up with that comeback until later last night...Ok, so I didn't come up with it at all, mom did. But oh well. I ended up pointing to GG and saying something about visiting. Rather sad.
Anyway, I have had a great few weeks here in Florida... tis fun! But I'm kind of...feeling odd... Dad got offered a job position, but he hasn't taken it yet. I know I should be hoping that he takes it, but... I don't feel anything. I miss Cambodia, yes, but I don't feel like if we stay in the US I will *feel* anything. I just don't. Sometimes I really do think that I must be part Vulcan... But I don't want to be. Ah well...
Anyway, that's all for now! Meow, no more impersonating ;), other peoples, Meow included, posty commentys! I miss you all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i LOVE your ode to katherine. It's... ode-ish.

Unknown said...

oh dear. that comment was meant for Meow's blog - have you seen her latest post? It's entitled "Ode to Katherine". Very... hmm. What is word?

Anyway, what I was meaning to say about YOUR post was a) LOVE the second birdy in the pick with the spiky fanned wings, b)MAKE YOUR DAD TAKE THE POSITION. The only reason you don't feel anything is cos you've only been there for, like, a month. Once your family has said they are staying (which they won't, of course), it will take you another couple of months still to actually feel the grief. Trust me, though - you will FEEL the GRIEF. And it will HURT. C), I can imagine your totally goofy grin as you said that comeback. Of course, you didn't actually say it, your MOTHER did, but whatever. Bet you are enjoying my SUPER-long comment, eh? D) Why, why, WHY did you spend money on iTunes downloads when you could have gotten them from LimeWire? I mean, granted, they are the studio versions, and they are way better quality, and yeah... WHY do I still use LimeWire? E) Yes, I HAVE walked a long way barefoot on asphalt. I mean, not quite a mile, but my tootsies still hurted very muck. I feel your pain. I WANT A GOLF CART! But they only go at like a mile an hour. SO slow. Well, today I went to Sovanna for the first time with Larissa, Lisa and Hannah, and I have to say apart from feeling genuinely freezing for the first time in like a year, it was disappointing. There was a load of nice makeup stalls though in the bottom, they were okay (I didn't buy anything, though, not my type of stuff, you know LIPSTICK and all that)... and then we tried to ask the ladies in the massage chair shop if we could go in the chairs but they were SO mean and were like NO and I was like UH!!! Not fair. So it was pretty much boring. I am sitting here in front of Cartoon Network (which I officially hate) watching Edd, Ed and Eddy (which I hate EVEN MORE than I hate Cartoon Network) with a bunch of giggling little Khmer girls peeking over my shoulder. My parents invited two people over for dinner and they ended up bringing, like, the rest of their neighbourhood. NOT fun, I can tell you. Also, I have a SPLITTING headache AND exams to study for, all of which just does NOT help. I need your support, Katherine-la! Bring your butt back over here! I am positively DYING without you and Krustenya... show her this comment, she will laugh... I hope. LAUGH, Krustenya, LAUGH!!!
Lots of love to you all (this ended up being more of an email than a comment, and while we are on the topic of emails (or e-mails), isn't it weird that some people say (or type) email and some say e-mail? Strangeness)...
ANYWAY. Lots of love,
Abby x

Jessica *meow* said...

LIMEWIRE is ILLEGAL, not that much anybody cares, but thats why kath is using the AUTHENTIC version by itunes...
yay im glad u likd my ode to katherine. did YOU katherine? yours is who i was meaning for.
haha i can imagine you being bored. i would just come along for the FREEZINGNESS, which, in my opinion is worth the boringness, cuz the heat is still unbearable here.
i dont think being a vulcan is good for humans....
i think your probably still suffering from culture shock. or, as they say... REVERSE culture shock. i go thru it too.
"your" comeback made me laugh out loud.
miss ya
x

Manwathiel said...

Abby! Golf carts go 26 mph!!!!

I'm gonna go read the Ode =)